Double U-core Switched Reluctance Motor (DU-SRM)
ePower has in cooperation with Aalborg University, developed a new DU-SRM (Double U-core Switched Reluctance Motor) patent pending SR motor technology through the CIPED project (Compact Intelligent Powerful Electric Drivetrain), with a power range of up to 200 kW.The DU-SRM motor developed in the CIPED project offers a new set of benefits compared to existing motors. What makes the SR motor unique is the lack of permanent magnets and the simple design, where the "active" parts consist of steel laminations and copper windings on the stator. The result is a simple, cheap and rugged machine with high performance.
- Robustness - The DU-SRM is simple in structure and the machine is fault tolerant. No windings or magnets on the rotor.
- Starting torque - The DU-SRM provides a high torque, up to 3-4 times the nominal.
- High efficiency over a large working area.
- Efficient high speed capabilities.
- 4 quadrant operation - motor and generator in both directions.
- Low cost - Simple construction without permanent magnets and a simple rotor construction.
- Highly customizable - up to 200 kW.
- Shape - The DU-SRM has a short axial length, approximately the width of the U-cores.
- Gearbox – A gearbox can be integrated in the machine without increasing the physical size.
- Can be controlled without clogging torque - from zero speed as maximal torque. Perfect for direct drive applications.
- No magnet losses at high speed with no load (free wheel), keep high efficiency at low torque. Perfect for hybrid motors.
- Low maintenance costs.
- No rare-earth materials used.